Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've noticed some of the older "Pre Hawkeye" Ruger bolts are made different. Some have a full circle rim to hold the case head like a Remmy 700 and other Rugers have part the bottom rim missing like a CRF Winchester. Question is, are these a full blown CRF action?

I found a Ruger 30-06 Stainless Skeleton model with the bottom of the rim missing. Sure looks like a a CRF action......Thanks!

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Older tang safetys are pushfeed, the MK II's are CRF. Is that what you mean? Never seen a MKII pushfeed but I could be mistaken.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe there was a short period where Ruger had made the M77 with the 3 position safety but it was still PF like the tang safety rifles.

Possible that's what you're seeing.

I remember reading that here - I'll try to find it. Was from eons ago.

Me

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The early MK II's are push feed.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just sold a MKII 7 Rem mag that wasn't CRF like my Model 70's. It had the claw but not CRF.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
laugh I'll be dipped in shiz, never seen one.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308
I've noticed some of the older "Pre Hawkeye" Ruger bolts are made different. Some have a full circle rim to hold the case head like a Remmy 700 and other Rugers have part the bottom rim missing like a CRF Winchester. Question is, are these a full blown CRF action?

I found a Ruger 30-06 Stainless Skeleton model with the bottom of the rim missing. Sure looks like a a CRF action......Thanks!

The one you are asking about is a full blown CRF action. Out of curiosity, how much are they asking for the boat paddle 06?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Me neither, learn something new everyday. Anybody got a pic?

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Teal you are correct Sir. Some people even tried to grind the lip off the bottom of the bolt to make the CRF but that was a bad idea.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
laugh I'll be dipped in shiz, never seen one.

Word on the street is the very first MKII's weren't true CRF, but could easily be converted. Hey gunnut, hows the fn pbr xp treating you? That's a dang good shooting rifle..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
BSA........I can get it for 325-350, it looks new. The stock isn't faded and it looks like a scope has never been mounted. Nice little rig wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
So these had a three pos safety and claw or long extractor?

Which ejector? Plunger like the tangs or standing like the latter MKII's?

BTW- Sorry for the hi-jack, thats a hell of a price for a bomb proof rifle, I'd jump on it.

Last edited by TomM1; 07/01/13.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
BSA........I can get it for 325-350, it looks new. The stock isn't faded and it looks like a scope has never been mounted. Nice little rig wink

Buy it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hell yeah buy it!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Dang, and I thought the one I found for $400.00 was a good deal!!! That's a smoking good deal man..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Can't say if it is "full blown CRF" but......

[Linked Image]

The MK II PF went into production in 1989 at SN 780-00001. CRF change dated above. LC6 trigger was transitioned into all M77 MK II rifles between 791-24657 and 791-71766.

Info from the "Reference of Ruger Firearms, Volume Two"

And, yes, I would buy it. I've seen them sell upwards of $600

Ed
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
My 30/06 started it's life as a push feed and I had the lip machined off so now it's CRF.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'll have to look at a couple of mine tonight. I know one of them is an early 90's model, now you have me curious.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
My 30/06 started it's life as a push feed and I had the lip machined off so now it's CRF.

THAT'S BS! You cannot turn a PF Ruger into CRF unless you remove the plunger ejector, install a blade ejector in the receiver, and cut a slot in the bolt. If you just machine the lip off the bottom of the boltface, it's still PF, if it will feed at all.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
THAT'S BS! You cannot turn a PF Ruger into CRF unless you remove the plunger ejector, install a blade ejector in the receiver, and cut a slot in the bolt. If you just machine the lip off the bottom of the boltface, it's still PF, if it will feed at all.
Gotta believe that Bearcat is talking about a MKII (which is the concern of the op) that was originally a pushfeed model. It seems you're a little quick to criticize, a little slow to comprehend.......

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Gotta believe that Bearcat is talking about a MKII (which is the concern of the op) that was originally a pushfeed model. It seems you're a little quick to criticize, a little slow to comprehend.......

+1!!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a photo of three Ruger M77 bolts. From left to right, an M77 (push feed), M77 MkII (CRF), and a Hawkeye (CRF).

[Linked Image]

After looking at these, tell me how grinding off the lip on the bottom of the bolt face on the push feed bolt will make it CRF.

OTOH, one source states that the first year push feed MkIIs did indeed have a blade ejector instead of the plunger, in addition to the lip on the bottom of the bolt face. I have examined first year MkIIs but honestly do not remember for sure if it had a blade or plunger, but I know for sure it had the bottom lip. If I am wrong and have accused incorrectly, I will retract and apologize. It won't be my first mistake, nor my last. Either way I probably should have just kept my mouth shut.

If someone here has a first year push feed M77 MkII, please post a picture of the bolt face. Thank you.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The early MK 2 was a PF until you remove the lip on the bottom of the bolt. Ticked me off, Ruger would give you a new bolt free for a short while, then Ruger wanted more than $200 to do so! I called and said it was advertised as a control feed and wanted it as advertised, Ruger said $200!

I had a local smith remove the bottom lip, on the bolt and it works great. On a LH 7 MM Mag and a LH 35 Whelen IMP. Both are early MK2 actions.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Here is a photo of three Ruger M77 bolts. From left to right, an M77 (push feed), M77 MkII (CRF), and a Hawkeye (CRF).

[Linked Image]

After looking at these, tell me how grinding off the lip on the bottom of the bolt face on the push feed bolt will make it CRF.

OTOH, one source states that the first year push feed MkIIs did indeed have a blade ejector instead of the plunger, in addition to the lip on the bottom of the bolt face. I have examined first year MkIIs but honestly do not remember for sure if it had a blade or plunger, but I know for sure it had the bottom lip. If I am wrong and have accused incorrectly, I will retract and apologize. It won't be my first mistake, nor my last. Either way I probably should have just kept my mouth shut.

If someone here has a first year push feed M77 MkII, please post a picture of the bolt face. Thank you.

I have one but its at ITD getting a fresh tube, It has a blade type ejector, in fact other than the lip on the bottom of the bolt face its identical to the later MKII and hawkeye bolts.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My LH MK11 Ruger ser # 780-61XXX

After bottom lip was removed, bolt face looked exactly like later MK 2 bolts but had a bottom lip. What were the odds getting 2 both LH.

[Linked Image]

kk alaska

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It is a bargain and a half at that price.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the pis fellas, interesting. Have to keep my eye out for one of those buggers

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Sorry it's not BS, I had the lower lip ground off so the cartridge would come up into the blade. Here is a picture of a bolt from my MKII77 7RM and a bolt from my MKII77 30/06. The lip that is circled on the 30/06 was machined off the it would feed because mine fed like schit with it on. I thought Ruger skipped a step from the factory because mine did not have a plunger like an MKI bolt would. Hopefully that will make more sense to you.

It works like a charm now, just like all my other Rugers that did not have the lip in the 1st place.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
boltsIII.jpg (51.55 KB, 220 downloads)

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I also did the same as kk alaska, I called Ruger and they wanted around $200 for a new bolt so I showed my gunsmith and he machined it off for free.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bearcat74,

I was wrong. I apologize for accusing you of lying.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
No worries and thanks for the apology

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bearcat, My buddy called me Pipe Bomb when I talked about removing the bottom lip. Said I would change headspace!

Lots of people unaware of the early Ruger MK2 bolt bolt.

Would like to know if they made them for longer time frame in
LH.

kk alaska

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Bearcat, My buddy called me Pipe Bomb when I talked about removing the bottom lip. Said I would change headspace!

Lots of people unaware of the early Ruger MK2 bolt bolt.

Would like to know if they made them for longer time frame in
LH.

Ha ha. Not to be mean, but your friend is an idiot whistle

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I had no clue that the early MKII's were like that until it was posted on here a couple of times. Mine was a Christmas gift in 1992 so it was early as it sat on the shelf for a good while as I remember. Mine fed terrible from the mag so I never really hunted with it and I decided one day a few years ago that I was going to work with it and get it running right. I knew they were CRF since I have 4 others and none had "the lip". When I pulled the bolt I knew it wasn't right so I called my gunsmith. He told me to bring it up and he had never saw an MKII like that either. He machined it off for free and told me to shoot the hell out of it. I restocked it with a Hawkeye stock and bedded the action and it's a great shooter. Glad I'm not the only one that had one like that and had it ground off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

386 members (163bc, 160user, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 32 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,114
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.